Monday, August 15, 2011

Hey There from Louisville!


Megen writing! I've got four days to cover, but I hate to read long posts, so I'll keep it snappy.

We've now been in our new apartment for six days and on our own (without my family) since last Friday. Since arriving, there has been no doubt in our minds that this is where we need to be. It has been a little hard not having a job or people that I know yet, but God has even been quick to show me that he's faithful in the unsettled places.

Here are some snapshots of His loveliness:
Friday
Two weeks ago, my aunt in Georgia told me that Logan and Lauren, the youth intern at her church and his wife, were going to Southern and were looking for housing. Friday afternoon, our next door neighbors moved in so Ben and I went to help. I'd heard someone say "Logan," but thought, No way! Why do I ever "No way" God? Logan asked what part of Georgia I was from, and I immediately knew that this was the couple I had started praying for two weeks ago. God intentionally chose our next door neighbors from my tiny Georgian hometown!  Our families live on the same road!

Saturday
We took our dog to Cherokee Park and walked for an hour in sunshine. One of the best things about Louisville is the parks everywhere. Sometimes I forget I live in a city because of the huge old trees all around us.

Also Saturday, we had our first Kentucky storm. Sometimes God shows up in sunny days and hikes in the park. Sometimes He shows off his power in a storm that knocks out electricity for half of Louisville and bends  billboards over until they fall on gas station roofs...



Sunday
One of our callings in Spotsylvania was to be in a specific church filling specific leadership roles. We knew the church he had set out for us even before we left college. It was a joy to be used in those ways. Here, though, there is a new joy: the church hunt!  Yesterday, we tried out Ninth and O Baptist. It was full of people who were genuinely interested in where we came from and what God was doing in our lives. We sang hymns and praise choruses and  clapped along with a drum set (the drummer was probably older than my dad. It was awesome). In Sunday School, we talked about submission and divorce (see Mark 10). Then we ate with a big group of acquaintances at Culver's, which supposedly has better icecream than DQ. We'll see....
But best of all, for me the extrovert, was dinner at a friend's house...even though I still had to cook it! Josh was one of Ben's friends from orientation and is one of the most comfortable people I've ever met. Also, he owns every season of Gilmore Girls. Ben I think I found your best friend...

And today, Monday, begins the job hunt. Ben just left for class, so I think this is a good time for exploring on my own...

No comments:

Post a Comment